What is AWANA?
AWANA is an international nondenominational, Bible-centered youth organization providing weekday clubs and programs for children age 3 through high school. Here at Bethany Baptist, we use the AWANA program through the sixth grade.
The name AWANA is an acronym from the phrase “Approved workmen are not ashamed” (2 Timothy 2:15).
- AWANA exists to reach boys and girls with the gospel of Christ and train them to serve Him.
- AWANA provides a vehicle to reach parents and other family members of the boys and girls who attend with the gospel as well.
Which Clubs does Bethany have?
- Cubbies – The club for 3 and 4-year olds that emphasizes parental involvement and Bible memorization.
- Sparks – The club for Kindergartners through second graders that emphasizes Bible memorization and Bible-centered activities.
- Truth & Training (T&T) – The club for third through sixth-graders that emphasizes Bible memorization and Bible-centered achievements.
What Goes on In AWANA each Week?
- Game Time – a thirty minute segment featuring games played on the AWANA game square
- Handbook Time – a thirty minute segment where clubbers meet with individual leaders to pass achievements in their handbooks
- Council Time – a thirty minute segment where the entire club group meets for singing, a Bible message and award presentations.
AWANA Leadership at Bethany
- Cubbies – Libby VanValin is the Cubbies director. There are several adult helpers serving in this club and around 20 children.
- Sparks – Don & Jeanne Weimer are the Sparks Directors. There are several adult leaders serving in this club and about thirty children.
- Truth & Training (T&T) – John and Denise Dennis are the T&T directors. There are several adult leaders serving in this club and around thirty children.
In addition, we are blessed with a game director, secretaries, music leaders and various speakers who provide scripture-based lessons in Council time.
Where can you help?
This year is an exciting one as we have begun with about 70 children. The position that is always in short supply is that of a leader/listener. During handbook time, many children need one-on-one assistance to get the most accomplished.
Qualifications for an AWANA Leader
Listener / Saved / Church Member / Walking with God / Good Testimony / Child Protection Training / Compliance / Desire to work with childrenDoes God want You to serve in AWANA?
Sunday Children’s Ministries
The mission of Christian education at Bethany Baptist Church is to teach Biblical truth for the purpose of challenging believers of all ages to pursue lives of Christ-like maturity.
Philippians 1:9,10 And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve the things that are excellent in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ.
The primary curriculum used in our children’s Sunday School classes is “Generations of Grace.” You can learn more about this curriculum by clicking here.
- Christian Education Pastor: Pastor Chris Tenneriello
- Children’s Sunday School Director: Vacancy
- Children’s Church Director: Marty Park
- Christian Education Administrative Assistant: Allison Hillaker
TLC (Sunday School) Ministries
Beginners (2 & 3 Yrs Old): Sue Baker, Sandy Arndt, Julie Broadworth and Vanessa Collett Pre-Primary (4 & 5 Yrs Old): Dave & Kathy Wass 1st-3rd Grade Boys: Joshua Harney 1st-3rd Grade Girls: Jill Agar 4th-6th Grade Boys: Joel Cormany 4th-6th Grade Girls: Donna Larkin
Junior Church Ministries
(3 Month Rotation Schedule)
- Beginners (2 & 3 Yrs Old)
- Pre-Primary (4 & 5 Yrs Old)
- 1st & 3rd Grades
Sunday Evening Ministry
3 Yr. Olds - 1st Grade
1st – 3rd Grades
Teachers & Substitute Teachers
Every Christian Education ministry at Bethany Baptist Church requires teachers. With nearly 50 people involved in the CE ministry, opportunity to serve abounds. We would love to have you minister with us. If this is an area where you feel the Lord would have you serve, please contact Pastor Tenneriello or Marty Park.
The mission of our church nursery is to provide a safe, clean and friendly place for children from birth to 2 years of age to be cared for by loving and attentive workers, for the purpose of allowing the parents of these children to study the Word of God and worship the Lord or to minister in other areas of our church unhindered. A staffed nursery is provided during all of our church services. Both Sunday and Wednesday Services provide nursery for children up to age 3.
If you have questions about our nursery, please contact Kelly Roeper, Jenn Ameen or Hanni Oskey.